The Electrical Products Laboratory
The Electrical Products Laboratory is a unit of the Laboratory Services Division of the Trinidad and Tobago Bureau of Standards. We are part of an integrated system of Standards Development, Product Monitoring and Management as well as our main role of function Product Testing.
Our services are based on testing capabilities supported by external assessment of our services, state-of-the-art equipment, extensive training and a rigorous quality management system which provide quality assurance in our daily processes.
From our electrical testing base, we provide reports for a variety of electrical products from a range of documented standard requirements. The testing results, assessments and measurements have provided us with a wealth of information from which we can offer consultancy services and training.
All tests are conducted strictly in accordance with national, regional and international standards. These services are designed to:
- Enhance competitiveness and efficiency
- Provide accurate, reliable and consistent test result
- Facilitate access to regional international markets
- Inspire greater customer confidence and promote increase customer satisfaction
- Improve overall business performance
An Assessment Service is provided for appliances to identify that the Labeling information provided meets the requirements of the TTS 76 Part 13 compulsory standard.
Function tests are performed on all appliances to establish their performance. Varied products are reliably tested for their performance.
Consultation is provided to organizations based on findings and results inherent in the Electrical Products Laboratory. This information can significantly guide purchases and effective usage for safety, higher performance and longevity of electrical items. With the consultancy services surveys and research are available for electrical products, usage and features.
Our Current Services include:
- Household appliance Testing
- Motor operated appliances
- Household refrigerators and freezers
- Electric fans
- Motor-operated household food preparing machines
- Light Bulb Testing
- The Electrical Products Lab uses a compulsory TTS standard (TTS 177: 2005) which comprises of the following tests:
- Life Test
- Inspection test
- Electrical Cable Testing
- Given the necessity of its use it is mandatory that Electrical Cables must adhere to the standards set. The Electrical Products Lab uses the BS 6004:2000 standard which comprises of the following tests:
- Electric Cable Testing – Identification
- Electric Cable Testing – Electrical
- Automotive Lead Acid Starter Battery Testing
- The Electrical Products Lab uses a compulsory TTS standard (TTS 179: 2005) which comprises of a range of tests such as:
- Verification of Battery Labels
- Capacity Tests
- Reserve Capacity Tests
- Cranking Performance Tests
- Charge Retention Tests
- Cyclic Retention Tests
- Vibration Resistance Tests
- Charge Acceptance Tests
- Electrolyte Retention Tests
- Water Consumption tests
- Environmental Testing
- Noise Level Management
- The laboratory conducts noise level measurements to IEC and American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Standards to assess levels of frequency distribution (Octave Analysis). This is used in determining hearing protection needs and noise reduction requirements.
- Noise Level Management
- Light Level Management
- Light levels (visible wavelengths) are measured in accordance with International Standards Organization (ISO) ergonomic Standards. These measurements are used in assessing workstation light levels for homes, offices, factories and inspection stations.
- Microwave Leakage Radiation Testing
- Standard Safety Tests
- Seasonal Decorative Light Testing – Christmas Lights
- Safety Boots Electrical Resistance Testing
ClareHAL 104 Multifunction Tester
The ClareHAL 104 multifunction tester takes the features of the rest of the ClareHAL range and combines them into one easy unit.
The simple intuitive user interface enables easy push-button manual testing, alternatively the full potential of this tester can be used to automate the testing sequence for fast performance on the most demanding production lines.
Testing of Safety Boot
Testing of Lighting Products